A Right Royal Distraction
It's been depressing of late hasn't it?
I mean North Africa's going to pot, as are parts of the Middle East. Japan and China and the two Korea's seem to be gearing up for a bit of feuding, we're busy sending troops to every corner of the globe which has oil (so, Tunisia, Syria & Co can sort themselves out, but Libya we're in like a shot, same as Iraq. I am betting Cameron and co are hoping Venezuela start a revolution soon so they can make a big humanitarian effort over there to).
We've had Tornadoes in America, Tsunami's in Japan, unemployment is up, the wonderful equal policies of "we're all in this together" have surprisingly translated into "let the poor masses pay and the rich get wealthier". Who'd have thought that under a Tory led government, eh?
So we've had thousands of public sector workers jobs shelved, being told that the private sector will fill the gap. Only nobody seems to have told the private sector that axeing 5000 council jobs in Newcastle upon Tyne and replacing them with 20 jobs at a private equity firm in Surbiton isn't a fair trade.
But fear not, we have the answer: A Royal Wedding!
I don't actually dislike William at all. He seems a fairly level headed sort of chap, certainly more so than his brother who seems to be far more nutty and all the more likable/dislikable (delete depending on how old you are) for it.
I do object to Kate Middleton being called a 'commoner' however. She was from an extremely wealthy and priviledged family, went to posh private schools and universities. In Royal terms, she maybe viewed as not being of royal lineage, but to lump her in with the rest of us great unwashed is akin to saying that she's the same as a tealady in Tower Hamlets or a binman in Bootle and it just isn't true.
Besides, the Royal family needs diversity. Have you seen their hands and feet? Webbed isn't in it. They look like they are from Norfolk. They've done more inbreeding in their time than Josef Fritzl, so it's time to diversify the gene pool.
A friend of mine asked on a Facebook post would you curtsy or bow to the queen. I wouldn't. Not through any great lack of patriotism or rudeness, but just because I don't think reverence should be given because of birthright. I respect people for what they do and achieve, not because of what was bequeathed to them as a result of good luck, power and biological processes.
Now, if the Queen sold off 3 of her palaces, gave the money to a charity that looks after, say handicapped or the terminally ill and ensured that her former residences would be put to good use, such as hostels for young people who have ran away from home, hospitals etc. Then I'd bow quite happily.
But in essence, what does she do? She is a "dignitary" and represents 'us' around the world. It must be a tiring job that, living in total luxury, thinking the world smells of fresh paint and having soemone else pick up the tab.
At least Charlie, for all his foibles, has done something. His business trust helped us start a business many years ago. Even the good old family racist, the Duke of Edinburgh, started his award scheme to encourage young people to take to the outdoors. Princess Anne's dogs savage people in parks, so there's all good to come from it (though there wasnt't the same outcry to muzzle or put to sleep Anne's dogs as there would be, say a pitbull owning family from Stoke on Trent).
But that's beside the point. The real point of this ramble is that this Royal Wedding malarkey serves one purpose. It is merely a distraction. Things have been so bad and depressing of late that we need something to distract ourselves from the misery. As a society, we'll take any excuse for a celebration in such circumstances, and a day off work and a party to celebrate two very wealthy people getting married, with us picking up the tab for a part of it, seems as good as any.
Just don't be surprised that tomorrow, when Wills and Kate wake up in their hotel room, they'll be looking forward to a rosy future.
The same cannot be said for the rest of us "commoners" at present.
Personally, if I'd have been in charge, I'd have made the Royal family pay the costs and the rest would have come from bankers bonuses. It would be a piddlingly small amount to them, but I think that's fairer.
Anyway, as you can tell. I am trying to avoid all things wedding. I can hear the call of the golf course beckoning and a BBQ a bit later, where all wedding talk is banned.
I wish them well and happiness together, I just wish their ritual binding was a genuine celebration of all that is good in the country, rather than a mere distraction from what is terminably bad.
I mean North Africa's going to pot, as are parts of the Middle East. Japan and China and the two Korea's seem to be gearing up for a bit of feuding, we're busy sending troops to every corner of the globe which has oil (so, Tunisia, Syria & Co can sort themselves out, but Libya we're in like a shot, same as Iraq. I am betting Cameron and co are hoping Venezuela start a revolution soon so they can make a big humanitarian effort over there to).
We've had Tornadoes in America, Tsunami's in Japan, unemployment is up, the wonderful equal policies of "we're all in this together" have surprisingly translated into "let the poor masses pay and the rich get wealthier". Who'd have thought that under a Tory led government, eh?
So we've had thousands of public sector workers jobs shelved, being told that the private sector will fill the gap. Only nobody seems to have told the private sector that axeing 5000 council jobs in Newcastle upon Tyne and replacing them with 20 jobs at a private equity firm in Surbiton isn't a fair trade.
But fear not, we have the answer: A Royal Wedding!
I don't actually dislike William at all. He seems a fairly level headed sort of chap, certainly more so than his brother who seems to be far more nutty and all the more likable/dislikable (delete depending on how old you are) for it.
I do object to Kate Middleton being called a 'commoner' however. She was from an extremely wealthy and priviledged family, went to posh private schools and universities. In Royal terms, she maybe viewed as not being of royal lineage, but to lump her in with the rest of us great unwashed is akin to saying that she's the same as a tealady in Tower Hamlets or a binman in Bootle and it just isn't true.
Besides, the Royal family needs diversity. Have you seen their hands and feet? Webbed isn't in it. They look like they are from Norfolk. They've done more inbreeding in their time than Josef Fritzl, so it's time to diversify the gene pool.
A friend of mine asked on a Facebook post would you curtsy or bow to the queen. I wouldn't. Not through any great lack of patriotism or rudeness, but just because I don't think reverence should be given because of birthright. I respect people for what they do and achieve, not because of what was bequeathed to them as a result of good luck, power and biological processes.
Now, if the Queen sold off 3 of her palaces, gave the money to a charity that looks after, say handicapped or the terminally ill and ensured that her former residences would be put to good use, such as hostels for young people who have ran away from home, hospitals etc. Then I'd bow quite happily.
But in essence, what does she do? She is a "dignitary" and represents 'us' around the world. It must be a tiring job that, living in total luxury, thinking the world smells of fresh paint and having soemone else pick up the tab.
At least Charlie, for all his foibles, has done something. His business trust helped us start a business many years ago. Even the good old family racist, the Duke of Edinburgh, started his award scheme to encourage young people to take to the outdoors. Princess Anne's dogs savage people in parks, so there's all good to come from it (though there wasnt't the same outcry to muzzle or put to sleep Anne's dogs as there would be, say a pitbull owning family from Stoke on Trent).
But that's beside the point. The real point of this ramble is that this Royal Wedding malarkey serves one purpose. It is merely a distraction. Things have been so bad and depressing of late that we need something to distract ourselves from the misery. As a society, we'll take any excuse for a celebration in such circumstances, and a day off work and a party to celebrate two very wealthy people getting married, with us picking up the tab for a part of it, seems as good as any.
Just don't be surprised that tomorrow, when Wills and Kate wake up in their hotel room, they'll be looking forward to a rosy future.
The same cannot be said for the rest of us "commoners" at present.
Personally, if I'd have been in charge, I'd have made the Royal family pay the costs and the rest would have come from bankers bonuses. It would be a piddlingly small amount to them, but I think that's fairer.
Anyway, as you can tell. I am trying to avoid all things wedding. I can hear the call of the golf course beckoning and a BBQ a bit later, where all wedding talk is banned.
I wish them well and happiness together, I just wish their ritual binding was a genuine celebration of all that is good in the country, rather than a mere distraction from what is terminably bad.
Comments
Post a Comment